Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sail Away

George and I had the opportunity to go on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean with my family last week. It was a BLAST!
It was nice to escape reality again for a week since our honeymoon was only 2.5 days long. Our relationship benefited from it immensely. We just found joy in being together and experiencing things with one another. It was a good re-freshener. Much needed.
George was quite excited as he realized the majority of workers on the ship would be from Malaysia and he would be able to delve back into his missionary mode and speak with them in Malay. I have to admit, we made quite a few friends! Some of which included our dining stewards and our room stewards. I learned how to say Thank you (Tri Macasi is how it's pronounced, but I probably butchered the spelling) and lots of other things. We got some of their contact information. Pretty exciting.
This is how the trip went:
Sat: Flew to Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Sun: Sacrament meeting in the morning, board the ship at 1pm. Sail away at 5pm.
Just before we left port to sail the open seas! (I'm really not this tall. I was standing on a lawn chair.)

Mon: First day at Sea. We played Bingo, went to a dance, dined in the Manhattan Room, blah blah.
Tuesday: Made it to our first Island, Grand Turk (part of the Turk and Cacaos Islands). It wasn't all exciting to look at but we went horse back riding in the ocean and that was a BLAST! (although I was kind of freaked because I'm afraid of water.) Something I got to cross off my bucket list. We also ate at Margarita Ville (SO DELICIOUS!!!)

Wednesday: Puerto Rico!!! We went on a zip line through the rain forest (something else I've wanted to do since I was a little girl and got to cross off my bucket list). We also walked around and George and I got our picture drawn....I don't think it looks much like me but it was fun anyway! :D (sorry, couldn't get it to rotate...)
When we got back on the ship, we changed for a formal dinner and George and I stood on the balcony from our room and watched the nightlife of Puerto Rico sail away. It was beautiful with the stars, the lights from the city and the ship, the beautiful water, the light breeze, and the steel drums from our sister ship, the Westerdam that followed us. George grabbed my hands and danced with me for a minute, even. One of my favorite moments of the entire trip. A memory I won't forget.
Thursday: St. Maarteen. We went snorkeling which was awesome! We were on a catamaran in gorgeous turquoise water having the time of our lives with creepy Jamaicans. haha. We also went shopping and George got himself a watch and he bought me a ring. Both of which we got for an incredibly good deal because over there to barter for a price. George learned how on his mission, so he was really good at it. YAY!

Friday: Another Sea day...boring I have to admit. But I got some time alone to walk a couple miles around the ship. I kept wanting to sing Celine Dion the whole time. That night Chelsey, Stettesen, George, and I all hung out and went to a dessert thing by the pool. I wish I had had my camera. there were amazing sculptures. I felt like I was in a Willy Wonka bar. Candied apples, statues made of ice and chocolate, watermelon flowers, cakes and cupcakes that looked so beautiful I didn't want to eat them. It was awesome. All low light with candles and the pool lit up. It was pretty cool. Then we went and got crazy on the dance floor for a while. After which we went up to the front and very top of the boat and watched the stars for a while. (again. I wanted to sing Celine Dion...haha. I actually started to, but couldn't remember the words...)

This picture was on the back of the boat...the water sounded so powerful, it freaked me out...haha
Saturday: Half Moon Cay. One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I picked up some seashells for my Activity Day girls. Went snorkeling and saw some awesome things including a baby barracuda! (ahhhhh!!!!) Chelsey, Mom, and I floated on our floaties for a while in the clear blue water. That was fun. :) Dad rented a cabana with a hot tub, chips and salsa, and snorkel gear. We all thought it'd be a tent. But it actually was this....pretty awesome. We winter babies were all so grateful for the shade.
We also went Jet Skiing.....something I never thought I'd do. I was so freaked out, a guide had to go in front of me to help me stay calm. I was sing-yelling church hymns and trying not to cry the whole time. Haha. I can say I've done it but I'm never doing it again. George and I also found a conch shell after the Jet ski's with the help of our guide. I collect sea shells so I was SUPER duper excited. George, being the wonderful hubby he is, carried it all the way home for me. We were all very happy to finally get some sun. Even after applying sunscreen about 4 times, George and I still got sunburned. In some of the oddest places, too....? And get this....I even TANNED a little...WHAT?!??! I NEVER tan! haha. Must be something in the water over there...

It was a good trip. The first time to the beach with George, my first time on a cruise, first time on Jet Skis, first time out of the country, etc. Lots of firsts. Can't wait for our next grand adventure!!!

P.S. On this trip, I learned there's better Reggae music out there other than Bob Marley. Thank goodness, too! haha

Mrs. Stewart

1 comment: