Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentines Day

Valentines Day has not always been my favorite. It's a day of gushy X's and O's and couples holding hands. Dinner is supposed to be perfect that night, loved ones exchanging gifts over candlelight blah blah blah. Haha I didn't like Valentines Day until I got married. Perhaps because I was jealous of everyone having someone that cared about to share it with. Or maybe it was because I was jealous of all the girls who were getting free dinner?? Either way. :)
While growing up my dad would buy us girls flowers every year. He never missed a year as far back as I can remember. It was so cute. :)
Last year was mine and George's first Valentines Day and it ended with me bawling my eyes out and eating macaroni off the floor. Haha it's all very hilarious to us both now. But at the time it all seemed so important.
This year I fell into the ga-ga-eyed trap once again.
X expecting flowers, a night out, a beautiful gift, and romance. Well, George and I had been saving to go out for some time and had the place all picked out. I was crushed back into reality when he forgot time after time to make the reservations and everything from here to barconckoma was booked out.
It may seem that I am setting my husband up for a put down. But bare with me here...
We had rearranged that we would get Indian food take out and have a quiet candlelight dinner at home and watch The Lucky One with Martelle's and cheesecake for the topper. I was satisfied with this and actually more excited than I was about going to The Melting Pot. Because it meant a night of George all to myself. A night I wouldn't have to be jealous of his homework for all the attention it was getting... Haha
But he surprised me. And this is how I know he knows me so well. On Valentines Day he called me and said, "I arranged it and were going out to Maddox. I figured you'd want to get all cute and go out instead." He surprised me wih flowers. An orange, red, and blue rose. Orange because it's his favorite color, red because it's symbolizes love, and white because it's my favorite. ^^
He done good, ladies. He done good. Haha
A lot of people have told me that it shouldn't matter what day you celebrate your love on and that it's just a greeting card holiday blah blah blah. But to me it's more than that. It's a day that reminds you of the love you have for others and the love you should have for those you may not. It reminds me to remember more often how much I love my spouse and how much he means to me. I don't need a holiday to have a candlelight dinner, but setting aside that day, I think helps us slow down and think about others and how much we love them.

Happy Valentines Day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment