Sunday, October 23, 2011

Two Down, A Million to Go

Yesterday I crossed to things off my bucket list at once:
1. See Ballet West perform at least once in my life.
2. See a professional performance in the Capitol Theatre.

There's nothing like the hustle and bussle of a performance.
From the Dancer's Point of view:
Everything is fast. You wake up and before you know it it's time to be there.
You rush to get there, making sure you aren't forgetting anything. Including extra bobby pins, safety pins, hair spray, and lip stick.
You walk through the stage door and everything is instantly chaos. Everyone is rushing to get their hair and make-up done. You say hi to your fellow Corps De Ballet and rush about back stage, hoping to get everything done before warm up.
you get to warm up and everything seems to calm down, even your heart beat. You focus on you and your body, making sure that you don't miss out on anything it's trying to tell you. You want it to have a healthy, safe performance.
You run through last minute changes and go over spots where mistakes have happened.
You put on your costume, finally looking and feeling like the part you've worked so hard for up until now.
You circle up, point your toe, cross your arms, and say a prayer.
You get some Rassin on your point shoes, hoping you don't get too much to stick or too little to slip. Your heart begins to beat faster and faster. Everyone is running around back stage, hurrying to their Que positions.
The orchestra begins to play and a chill runs from your head to your toes. The curtain opens, your Que goes, and your on stage. Your heart beats with the music, calming itself because it knows you are home.

I went and saw Dracula by Ballet West yesterday with my mom and my good friend Caitlin and her mother. It was so much fun! I couldn't believe I was really there, watching it, until it was over. I felt like a million bucks. I can't dance so seeing someone else dance like that made me feel just a little better. :)



I hope to look like her someday....

No comments:

Post a Comment